Monday, April 9, 2007

Manresa

Ric and I ate at Manresa in Palo Alto last weekend and had another amazing meal. Can't say enough about that place. For me, the food itself is right up there with The French Laundry. You don't get the whole TFL experience, which is extremely hard to replicate, but the food is definitely on par with Thomas Keller's. My favorite every time is the hollowed out egg shell filled with egg yolk, chives, maple syrup, and salt and pepper. Sounds like a weird combination, but those flavors combine like nothing I've ever tasted.

During this meal (tasting menu of course) we were served FIVE amuse bouche's... everything from parmesan potato sticks, to an oyster, to a red pepper gelee. Amazing. Then we had a seven course menu (minus the foie gras, which actually forced the chef to get creative with replacement courses) and a couple desserts at the end.

The wine was delicious... a Jensen Calera. This was the same wine we had a TFL and it was just as good as we remembered. I haven't loved every Calera I've had, but this specific one is fantastic.

Love you Manresa. We'll definitely miss you...

Rachel

No comments: