Monday, June 23, 2008

Hampstead Midsummer 10K

After eating all day Saturday at Taste of London, I tried to work off some of the extra calories by running in the Hampstead 10K. It was quite the neighborhood event, with about 400 runners participating. Not the most organized run in the world, as evidenced by the 80 year old man trying to scream instructions to 400+ rowdy, antsy runners (without a megaphone of course), the water they were spraying on people that happened to be right on a tight corner, and the lack of signage to mark the finish, so that one guy ran past it and had to be stopped by Ric and told to turn around...

But it was fun. And luckily I wasn't there to try and win the thing, so these details didn't matter much. Finishing the 6.2 miles was my first goal (done!) and finishing in less than an hour was my second goal (also done! in 56 minutes!)... it's nice to have a race to force you to run a little farther and faster than you would otherwise. And I love race day! Especially the yummy watermelon at the end. Already looking for another one, but the busy travel schedule doesn't make it easy.

Pictures to come. One great one of my race-off at the very end with some guy who was running next to me. He started slowing down so I tried to wizz by him and finish in front. He wanted none of that, and turned up the speed too. We finished neck and neck, although the official results list him first :)

Big thanks to Ric for being a great spectator and fan!!

No comments: